Saturday, September 23, 2006

Officially Fall

Well, I guess it is official that fall is upon us - the first of many empty cattle trucks just rattled down the road on it's way to fill up. Time to wean the calves and get them off to market. Good thing its cooled down enough that we will have the windows open and won't hear the mama cows bawling for their babies the first couple of days.

We've gotten quite a bit of rain - 2 inches last weekend and probably another 2 this week. The mountains are starting to turn white again. We are hoping for a good wet winter to quench this dry land. It is pretty sad when the ground is so dry it is cracking everywhere. Even if you dig down 2 feet, it is still dry. The crab apple tree is bowing low with apples so the deer come in everynight to feast. A couple of days ago, 3 little racoons came by and spent the day in the tree - they would eat a while then relax in or on the big magpie nest in the tree. I thought they had gone, but I see they decided to leave a little evidence of their visit last night on the front porch - yuck!

Two weeks from today (and I'm for sure not ready) we'll be heading east to do our antelope hunting. My absolutely favorite time of the year, I think - at least as far as hunting goes. We tried the camping out thing last year and it was pretty miserable so J asked me the other night if I'd made reservations - I had presumed he was planning on camping again so I hadn't. As soon as he mentioned it though, I whipped out my wallet and grabbed the business card I have been carrying around for the past 2 years and made reservations for sure. It does make hunting nicer when you know at the end of the day you can get to a somewhat comfortable bed and even more importantly a shower.

hmm - course, we will be listening to those cattle trucks all night since it's fall - time to move the cattle and every cattle truck seems to go right through Broadus.

2 comments:

Joxer's Human said...

I thought you'd bought that big, fancy tent to go hunting with?? That rain made for a nice change but, now that it's gone your way, the warmer, sunny weather this week is very much enjoyed..

abeNanna said...

We are getting ready for the wedding, but then a week later is the start of the hunt for C and J. One of the guys at work told C it isn't a hunt, it is a horseback ride. Maybe so, but they will have a great time.